maandag 14 november 2011

Daring cooks november 2011: Cooking with Tea!


Sarah from Simply Cooked was our November Daring Cooks’ hostess and she challenged us to create something truly unique in both taste and technique! We learned how to cook using tea with recipes from Tea Cookbook by Tonia George and The New Tea Book by Sara Perry.

I decided to make the chinese tea eggs for this months challenge because they always looked so beautiful to me, but it never came to making them myself. So thank you sarah that you encouraged us to make something with tea. The tea eggs are not very difficult to make. But i crushed one egg in the cracking proces, because i was being so enthousiastic while cracking them up. In the end all the other eggs looked very good and the taste was awesome.


Chinese Tea Eggs

Servings: 6 eggs
Ingredients
6 eggs (any size)
2 tablespoons (30 ml) (6 gm) black tea leaves, or 4 tea bags
2 teaspoons (10 ml) (5 gm) Chinese five spice powder
1 tablespoon (5 ml) (3 gm) coarse grain salt
toasted sesame seeds, to garnish

Directions:

In a large enough pot to avoid overcrowding, cover the eggs with cold water. Bring to a boil over medium heat and simmer for twelve minutes.
Remove the eggs with a slotted spoon and keep the cooking water.
With a spoon, tap the eggs all over until they are covered with small cracks. This can also be done by tapping and rolling the eggs very gently on the counter.
Return the eggs to the pan and add the tea leaves or bags, Chinese five spice powder, and salt. Cover the pan.
Heat gently and simmer, covered, for one hour.
Remove the pan from the heat and let the eggs cool down in the liquid for 30 minutes.
Remove the eggs from the liquid. Peel one egg to check how dark it is; the others can be returned to the liquid if you wish to have the web-like pattern darker. Allow the eggs to cool fully.
To serve, peel and slice the eggs in halves or quarters. Sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds.



12 opmerkingen:

  1. Beautiful job! I agree that the Chinese Tea Eggs are so fun and easy to make, and turn out a beautiful presentation!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  2. Your eggs turned out so beautifully marbled. Congrats on the challenge!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  3. Your tea eggs are so beautiful! I wanted to try them but didn't have a chance, but seeing yours has me all inspired! :) Great job.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  4. I did some tea eggs also, not only are they pretty but they taste wonderful also. I love the beautiful pattern on yours.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  5. Lovely job on the eggs - aren't they a fun surprise to peel?

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  6. Those do look beautiful! I want to make some too, I'm glad that I have the recipe!

    Come see me at http://www.willcookforsmiles.com/

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  7. I made chinese eggs too, they were just too beautiful and interesting to miss.
    Your pictures are breathtaking by the way

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  8. Gorgeous! Your tea eggs came out perfectly. Great photos too!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  9. Stunning pictures! Perfectly executed tea eggs, I'd say!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  10. Beautiful work, Yvette! Cracking the eggs was my favourite part, too, and I was too forceful with one - I just made sure it was not in the final photos. :) Thank you so much for taking part this month.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen